Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wallpaper, Friendship, and Peace Not Necessarily In that Order

When I started this post I wanted to keep it light and touch on how the word peace has been important to me lately. That is the truth, I have been looking to become a peaceful person. What I was not going to say is that this has been on my mind all week because of the current political climate. I have been seeing so much anger lately. While I try to keep my mind focused on being peaceful, and not engaging in anger, I have been watching the anger around me just grow and grow. I don't like this. I don't like what anger has been doing to my community, country, and world. It truly makes me sad and I am beginning to lose hope that one day the world will be free of hatred. So, I thought I would do a light post about peace and let that be my statement, but then I realized that kind of post was not authentic. That kind of post would be a cowardly way to say something but not really saying it. So, I decided to say it the best way I can.

When I started to think about this whole peace post, I was thinking about friends and how I have heard people wanting to end friendships over political differences. If there is one thing I have realized, when it comes to friendship, it isn't the big things people do, it is the very small things that make a difference. It is the day to day interactions that build strong relationships. I hope that people think of this before ending their friendship over politics. I hope they think about how that person treats them everyday, and not concentrate only on the differences they have politically. I am very thankful for the good friends I have in my life. I am thankful for those who allowed me to make a mistake and yet still call me a friend. Is politics really worth losing a good friend over? I don't think it is. A while back, I read the book The Art of Happiness by His Holiness The Dali Lama, he spoke about peace being a radical idea. The thought blew me away, especially when I realized he was right. At least in America, peace is radical. We are so quick to get angry and react. I know I have done that time and time again. I am learning to stop, think, and be patience. Peace. It is what I say to myself now when I feel myself getting angry. I think the world needs more peace in it and all I can do, is find peace within myself. I am sure I will work at this for my entire life.

Here are a few quotes I found about peace. I hope one of them inspires you to think peacefully when you start to feel angry or hateful:

We can never obtain peace in the outer world till we make peace with ourselves. His Holiness DL

Where ignorance is our real master there is no possibility of real peace. His Holiness DL

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, there would be peace. John Lennon

Peace begins when the hungry are fed. Anonymous


Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God. Matthew 18

If we have no peace it is because we have forgotten we belong to one another. Mother Theresa
Thank you to my fellow Etsy shops for allowing me to use these images. On a side note to my husband, any of the above items would make a great birthday present for me...... *smile, hint, smile*

1. Peace Sign 2 inch circles digital collage by Room29'sshop

2. Peace, Love, and Bike Organic short sleeve tee by Loftymornings

3. Peace by mishmishmarket

4. Peace long sleeve green tee shirt by Loftymornings

5. Vintage Red peace tote burlap by panbeth
6. Steampunk Peace necklace by IM Girl

7. World Peace necklace by jewelsbyn

8. Peace Origami Crane poster by fieldtrip
9. Take A Deep Breath Love and Peace Art Print by myzoetrope

10. Imagine All the people screen print art poster by BluLima

11. Get your word on wood in five letters or less by kelseyhenke

12. Peace Love and Passion Brooch by editionbw

13. 8x8 Imagine all the people living life in peace single print by suzannanna

If you have any other quotes about peace, I would love to hear them.

I did find some cabinets for my craft room! I am so excited to get this project done. I think I might do wallpaper on one wall. Have you looked at wallpaper lately? The options are practically infinite! I am thinking of doing either a black, white, and yellow or a black, white, and teal......now if I can only find a wallpaper I love that will cost me less than $100 per wall! Uh huh. Crazy expensive!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want wallpaper, but I'm a renter, and everything I want is WAY expensive! Good luck!

Susie Lubell said...

thank you for including my little dove in this inspiring collection.

Alexaa Duendee said...

this is great... !
Peace&love

A Bowl Full of Boys

A Bowl Full of Boys

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel