Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day Two, Just Getting Started

Sarah and I got up early on Saturday morning (early for us is 7 am). We had decided to hit a church garage sale we saw a sign for the evening before. I had expected lines out the door. It was not that busy at all. In fact, I think there was only one other person in the place. I think I picked up a couple of books at this particular stop. After that Sarah wanted some coffee so we headed over to the Eagle's Nest Coffee shop. Cute coffee shop. Small town America really has some great coffee shops. This particular coffee shop had these really cute monkey breads that were in muffin cups. I love that idea. We also went to a garage sale under a huge bridge that crossed the Mississippi. The woman lived almost under the bridge. I laughed about worrying it would fall but she thought that was crazy talk and didn't seem to think it was even possible. I decided to not go into the history of big bridges in Minnesota with her. I mean, really, I only know of one bridge collapse in Minnesota so she was probably right.


On this day we crossed over into Wisconsin. We took the big bridge the garage sale was under and passed over into Nelson, WI.

Nelson had a lot of garage sales. The town was pretty busy and everyone seemed so nice and happy. The first place we stopped at I scored an antique crock with a metal neck. I had never seen one like that before and I really liked it. I also got a vintage toy tool box. It has the most wonderful vintage patina on it. My favorite sign of the entire trip was this one:



One of the garage sales in Nelson, WI. This little town was so beautiful. I took a lot of pictures on this part of the trip. The bluffs around that area are enough to make me want to go back for a visit. I could take pictures there all day.At the stop in the picture above, I got some really wonderful vintage tins. I am really into vintage tins for some reason. I love the graphics on them and the fact you can use them for storage forever.


Then we had lunch at this great place in Nelson. The inside is really unique and the food was pretty darn good. It was the perfect place to stop and take a rest. After lunch we hit more of the Nelson garage sales and there were plenty.


After we left Nelson, WI, we headed south on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River. There were not as many garage sales during this part of the drive but I got some really cool pictures.

I am going to post them on my Flickr photostream.

Hopefully we will get some sunshine today and I will be able to take sneak peak pictures of my vintage finds.

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

awesome photos traci! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

A Bowl Full of Boys

A Bowl Full of Boys

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel