Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Call Me the Bag Lady!



I have been doing a lot of sewing lately, mostly bags. I don't use patterns. Usually as I am falling asleep at night I visualize how I want the bag to turn out and then I put it together in my head. After that I jump in with both feet, start cutting fabric, and hope it works out. Same with cooking. In cooking, I just make recipes up as I go. For some reason, patterns (and recipes) are more difficult for me to follow than visual directions. Case in point. I have made a few lined zippered pouches to match each bag. I don't ever use a pattern. Instead I use a video posted on SIS. I must have watched that video 20 times by now and still watch it step by step each time I make a pouch. I need to see each step rather than have them explained to me. Besides, when Rhi says, "I like to live on the edge." I crack up every time!


Here are two of the bags I just recently made. The pink one above is for my niece. She picked out the fabrics and I got to work. I think she picked a couple of great fabrics. I hope she likes how it turned out. The one below if for a friend. I made it out of some sheets from the 70's. I love the pattern and how summery it is.

I still have a couple more to make for other people (Yes Mom, yours is next) and I am excited to try out some new designs. My next design is going to be a bag with all ruffles (No Mom, yours will not have any ruffles).
I hope everyone is staying cool in this crazy heat!!!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! I'm going to be taking sewing lessons next month, and am hoping to learn to make a few bags! :)

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Your bags are so cool! Thanks for visiting my blog Traci! I miss you too, and hope you are doing well!!!

sandra said...

these bags are great!!
tell me about this weather...i really dislike it, like, a LOT! call me crazy, but i really enjoy winter weather with all the crazyness of snow and rain and cold winds-that's when i really love Chicago lol.

A Bowl Full of Boys

A Bowl Full of Boys

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel