Monday, June 1, 2009

Summertime Summertime Sum Sum Summertime!

It's here. Officially. I know, I know, the calendar does not say it is summertime yet but here in my house, it is Summertime! This is the last summer before my oldest goes off to kindergarten. I am going to enjoy each and every moment before he goes to the first day of school. I have big plans for this summer and one of them is I don't care how dirty the boys get! I am allowing them to dig in the dirt and roll in the grass. They can make as many mud pies as they please. The only rule. No mud paths through the house. Leave the mud at the front door please.

Last night we had a great meal. I thought I would share with you one of the dishes I made. My husband loves it and it is such a great warm weather salad. I must apologies because I don't use recipes.

Summer Tomato Salad

3 ripe tomatoes
1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese (note use the fresh packed in water or it won't be the same)
fresh basil
1 red onion
balsamic vinaigrette
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

1. Cut the tomatoes into about a quarter of an inch slices (place on the bottom of the plate)
2. Cut the onion into very thin slices (place on top of tomato)
3. Cut the mozzarella into quarter of an inch slices (use as much as you would like in your salad and place on top of tomato and onion)
4. Chop fresh basil and put on top
5. salt and pepper to taste
6. Pour vinaigrette on salad and allow to sit for a few hours to chill everything.

It's even better the next day. In my humble opinion.

Feel free to let me know if any of those directions don't make any sense!

This salad will be even better when I can use the tomatoes and onions from my garden.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds pretty good! :)

A Bowl Full of Boys

A Bowl Full of Boys

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel