Friday, February 19, 2010

Etsy Dreaming

The other day I was looking through the awesomeness that is posted on Etsy and I thought about how fun it would be to put a head to toe look together using only items from Etsy. I got this idea from a book I am reading....more on that later. I like the idea of buying only handmade items and vintage items. I'll explain that later also.........

Start from top left to right:
I have a two of these already and love them. The flower comes off the headband so it can be used in other ways. On a hat perhaps? Or during the summer on a purse.
I like this for a night out with the hubs. It's simple and chic.
Why can't I be a size 11 so I may have these shoes. Must tell Florence about these shoes she will fit them.

Isn't it just the sweetest!


Why did I decide to look at Etsy for an outfit? Here is why: You know how once in a while you read something or learn something new and it changes a very deep belief you have held onto? This book did that to me. The change in perspective for me was almost physical. The book challenged me to see Christianity in a whole new light. A good light, not the way it has been here in America for many years. Shane, is more than just inspiring, he is amazing. Truly, amazing. Shane believes all the same things I believe although he believes them for different reasons than I do. The truly wonderful part is down to the core of his being he lives his beliefs everyday and in every way. If you have read this book I would love to know what you think. I would love to hear your perspective and if this book has changed anything you do in your life.Shane explains in his book just how bad people are treated in many of the sweatshops around the world. He has taken to making his own clothing. Admirable, but I don't think I will be making my clothes anytime soon. Can you imagine making a bra? I'd have to contract with a blacksmith for mine. However, I can think about where I purchase my clothing and where the money will be going. With Etsy, I am getting a handmade items (although you have to watch it) or a vintage item. Not only am I helping reduce waste by purchasing a vintage item, I am also assured that the money won't go back to a corporation who is allowing humans to be treated like slaves. Does that mean I will never to to Target again to buy something, no, but I will definitely think twice and be more knowledgeable about who I am buying from.

There is much more to this book than talk about sweatshops and human rights violations. It's just damn amazing. No matter what your beliefs are, I encourage you to read this book. Just be ready to really think about how you live your life.










































































































3 comments:

Carolyn Ward said...

Read it and loved it in an uncomfortable 'wish I could live more like that' kind of way. You need those amazing reads every now and then to kick start your thinking about how you can change, and what difference you can make. Hope the changes continue for you!

Unknown said...

I tried to find this book in our state library, no luck :( will be keeping my eye open for it

Unknown said...

Still keeping my eyes open for this, just wanted to let you know lol

A Bowl Full of Boys

A Bowl Full of Boys

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel

The Nicholas at the end of the tunnel